After a lot of long nights, we're almost ready to send the official pre-production prototype of the GFC Platform Camper off to Baja for three weeks of serious testing.
What are we testing? Well, this is what we're calling the pre-production prototype. Unlike the first prototype that we lovingly called the Test Mule (the one you've seen in all the photos thus far that haven't been renders) the pre-production prototype (PPP) has most of the features the final units will have. Unlike the Test mule that was built to test out some general theories about size, floor layout, and materials strength, the PPP will help us prove out the following features:
- Our custom aluminum tubing profiles that provide mounting for all manner of accessories and roof racks, as well as waterproofing without the use of sealants or glues (makes things easy to repair)
- The version-3 tent pattern that snaps in and out in less than five minutes for easy replacement or cleaning. Also useful if you're using the tent as a utility rack but won't be camping for a while.
- Hinged aluminum hard sides with locking latches
- The Easy-tuck carbon battens
- Overall durability and rattle-proofness
Here's what it looks like open. Pay no mind to the camo. We had a lot of that fabric laying around so it seemed prudent to make the first tewnt off the new patterns out of free fabric rather than the expensive stuff we'll be using in final production. Those will be Dandelion yellow or light gray.